[Woodworkers] windows

Dave Heitstuman via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Mon Mar 27 09:37:02 PDT 2017

Joe commented  “You can get single hungs but there are no double hung vinyl windows that I know of.”

Actually you can get double hung.  Maybe not from the box stores but when I had the windows replaced in my house they offered an option of double or single hung.  I don’t remember the cost difference but we decided that single hung were fine although we now wish we would have done double on 1 of them.

I had 11 windows replaced, 2 big ones (non opening) 7 identical windows and 2 slightly different.  Installed was right at $4500.00.
They removed the old and just installed the windows, I was residing the house so I trimmed them out. Inside and out.  They were Millgard windows purchased from a local glass place.  They have a lifetime warranty, even if I throw a rock through the window it is replaced for free ☺

From: Woodworkers [mailto:woodworkers-bounces at lists.sawdusters.org] On Behalf Of Joe Johns via Woodworkers
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2017 6:41 AM
To: A place where woodworkers talk about woodworking
Subject: Re: [Woodworkers] windows

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 7:01 PM, Tom Lovelace wrote:

A friend from Austin Tx called me today.
Said that he needed to replace a single window in his home.
A local business quoted him  $3000 to make one custom window!

If there is a local lumber yard/building supply he should be able to order vinyl windows to fit any size rough opening there is (Cascade is one brand I get around here - made in Spokane, WA).  The glass is thermopane and comes in colors; white, almond and what they call sand (think of a camel); obviously, the price depends upon the size.

For instance, a standard 3-0 x 4-0 is $137.00 and a 2-2 x 3-2 is $125.00 (both are sliders and come with screens).  You can get single hungs but there are no double hung vinyl windows that I know of.  You can also order the window with preference of slide - if you are standing inside the room and want the slide to move from left to right then you would order it O-X.  If it is a replacement window, meaning he is tearing out a wooden one and leaving the frame then an NFD (net frame dimension) window should be ordered.

If you give a RO of whatever dimension then the vinyl window will be made 1/2" less in both dimensions and will come with flanges unless it is ordered NFD.  This is Cascade's web site...


This is the same friend that paid over $1000 for a small sink cabinet

Cripes...tell you friend to start calling me 😁​

The Twisted Knot Woodshop, "There's never been a classier joint"
Visit the Twisted Knot Woodshop - http://www.twistedknotwoodshop.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.sawdusters.org/pipermail/woodworkers-sawdusters.org/attachments/20170327/a34326d4/attachment.htm>

More information about the Woodworkers mailing list