[Woodworkers] Dust Collector Again

John Corbett jcorbett63 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 12 17:58:49 PST 2017

 Gary, that's a bunch of bunk needing a 5 hp motor for a hobbyist system.  Start with what you already have then add your 6" piping.  If at a later date you're not pleased with the results then you can upgrade your DC as you've already upgraded you piping as I understand your post.
I built my system several years back after researching much like you have.  What I've come to understand is that head knowledge is good however practical knowledge/application is 10x better.  I have had zero problems with my system being able to service any of my stationary tool needs.  Three things that increased my vacuum were the addition of a canister filter, using 4" flex tube sparingly and using 6" HVAC piping.
My system consists of a Delta 1.5 hp single stage DC outfitted with a canister filter.  All of my lines are 6" HVAC piping to as close to the tool as possible.  My longest run is probably 30 - 35 feet to a BS with no problem.  The next closer tool and still probably 20 feet away from the DC is the jointer and it doesn't have a problem as well.
All my 90 deg. elbows are actually two 45 deg. elbows connected together.  Out of the wyes I used another 45 deg. elbow if the run was perpendicular to the main trunk.  ALL joints were taped with the aluminum foil backed tape to include all pipe seams as well.
If you use HVAC piping make sure all of the joints are such that the joints don't restrict air flow meaning with your DC on your left, the pipe or fitting in your right hand fits inside the pipe or fitting in your left hand.  In some cases you'll need a pipe crimper so that the pipe/fitting in your right hand will slide into the pipe/fitting in your left hand. HD/Lowes should have crimpers.