[Woodworkers] New Shop

Mike Hales via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Wed Sep 28 19:23:24 PDT 2016

Thanks 2Dave. I'm getting it dialed in pretty good now!

I am planning on two branches, one down each side and the deep boxes,
already have a bunch of 'em. There will be a "dedicated" circuit in the
ceiling right where the garage door opener would plug in.
(Coincidentally, it's right above where my Table Saw, Jointer, band saw
and planer are going to reside. ;-) )

On 9/28/2016 5:06 PM, Dave Heitstuman via Woodworkers wrote:

> Talked to one of our electrical subs today.  GFCI does not apply to
> “garages or shops” unless there is water involved.  I think it gets
> very complicated at that point.
>
> But GFI does come in to play.  He said that he is pretty sure that
> “dedicate” tool circuits do not have to have GFI protection.
>
> However service outlets do.  He said to do the same thing I had
> planned on doing.  Any 220 outlets are dedicated tool outlets.  For
> your branch circuits/service outlets install a GFI at the first one
> and run the rest off that.  After it is inspected take the GFI out.
>  Just remember you can only have so many outlets downstream, although
> I would think you would want at least 2 circuits.  Technically I have
> 4 but I over engineered my electrical big time.
>
> On another note, if you are going to run 12ga wire for your branch
> circuits I would use deep 4 x 4 boxes with mud rings so you have lots
> of room to work the wires.
>
> Again, good luck.
>
> 2Dave

---