[Woodworkers] New Shop

Dave Heitstuman via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Wed Sep 28 16:06:09 PDT 2016

Talked to one of our electrical subs today.  GFCI does not apply to “garages or shops” unless there is water involved.  I think it gets very complicated at that point.
But GFI does come in to play.  He said that he is pretty sure that “dedicate” tool circuits do not have to have GFI protection.
However service outlets do.  He said to do the same thing I had planned on doing.  Any 220 outlets are dedicated tool outlets.  For your branch circuits/service outlets install a GFI at the first one and run the rest off that.  After it is inspected take the GFI out.  Just remember you can only have so many outlets downstream, although I would think you would want at least 2 circuits.  Technically I have 4 but I over engineered my electrical big time.

On another note, if you are going to run 12ga wire for your branch circuits I would use deep 4 x 4 boxes with mud rings so you have lots of room to work the wires.

Again, good luck.

2Dave