[Woodworkers] Wood movement in Hand Mirror

Joe Johns woodwork at twistedknotwoodshop.com
Mon Nov 21 06:40:48 PST 2016

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 10:51 AM, Chuck Steger <chuck.steger at gmail.com>
wrote:

I’m making some hand mirror’s (4x6 oval mirror) as Christmas presents.

​<major snippage occurred>

With the size you are speaking of here I seriously doubt you will have any
concern of wood movement causing the mirror to break or pop out.  What I
would do is allow the opening to be 1/16" larger to make it easier to slip
the mirror in its recess.

Additionally, I would not use carpet tape - it won't turn a corner.  Go to
a glass shop and get setting tape.  Or, you could skip the tape and nail on
thick cardboard...sorta like you see on the back of notepads?  You could
use little round-headed copper nails...it'll be loverly.

--
Joe,
The Twisted Knot Woodshop, "There's never been a classier joint"