[Woodworkers] Rust and Vinegar

via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Sun Apr 24 09:35:26 PDT 2016

I had a couple of bearings that were rusty in a wood lathe that I recently
bought. I thought I wonder if I can free these up just for grins. Well I
went on this machine and found that you could soak them in vinegar for a
hour or so.

So I put a little white vinegar in a old yogurt cup toss in one of the
bearings and checked it a hour later. Well wouldn't you know the vinegar  was
starting to work its magic. Then I thought if it works like that on  bearing,
I wonder what it will do on some old rusty "F" clamps.

I pulled out the clamps threw a couple of gallons of white vinegar  into a
5 gallon bucket and set several in . The top of the clamp of  the left is
after it being in overnight, and cleanup with a  piece of  steel wool and a
rag.

Then the good news is I can dispose of the vinegar on the weeds  in my
driveway once I'm done killing off the rust.

Vinegar is pretty amazing stuff. And to think we actually use this  stuff
on our food!!

Gary Williams