[Woodworkers] Sawstop vs Bosch

Ben Reese via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Wed Sep 9 03:09:42 PDT 2015

Got a friend that owns a cabinet door shop.  He finally got a kick-back on
one of the table saws in his shop last week.  It just made his hand sore
for about a week....no broken skin though.  He admits to feeding the stock
with too much force.  (kind of like what I understand happened with the guy
that won the million dollar suit from Ryobi a few years back.

Anywho, this guy continually shows up bandaged up from different
tools....repeatedly one of the edge sanders in his shop.  Lost the edge of
his thumb to the shaper.  Nicked by a table mounted router.  I truly think
that he has too much on his mind and maybe should run the place and let the
guys in the shop do the work while he worries about the bills and meeting
orders.  He is 68 and no dummy.  When he was setting up shop I asked him if
he was going to get Sawstop saws.  He said he wanted to, but came out
cheaper buying complete shops that were going out of business to furnish
his shop.  On the sander note,  I have a 23 year old grandson that helps me
in the shop when not at college,  He had a deal with an edge sander last
year because of that he won't use the table saw now due to being afraid of
a kick back.  Yet he was so good that in high school the shop teacher made
him shop assistant.

I know that two different high schools that my grandsons go to have
equipped with Sawstops.  I fully understand that with the novice and
distracted users that are operating them.  I am friends with one of the
instructors and he let me try one of the SS when it came in.  (Nice saw)
What he told me made a lot of sense.  "With 15+ students in the shop at one
time, there was no way an instructor could stand over just one student
using a table saw at one time.".  They had a two Unisaws  and went totally
to the Sawstop.

I do not like Sawstop's approach to what is basically a safety issue here.
They should revel in the fact that they initiated all the changes and
welcome a little competition.  If they have no competition I guarantee they
will eventually stop producing the quality product that they have making it
a little less quality and yet jacking the price up.

There will be arguments as to "what price is safety?"  I guess the answer
might be "whatever your budget can afford.  If you can't afford it then
don't pay for it and get something else that you can afford".