[Woodworkers] Share Your Tools and Experience

Herb Treuil via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Tue Jun 30 10:01:57 PDT 2015

Friends,

I have enjoyed following your blog and seeing some of the examples of fine
woodworking.  I have been thinking about sharing some of my personal
experience with you in hopes that you might come to share my views.

Some time ago I visited a friend who had been asked to come and clean out a
deceased in-law’s workshop.  There were woodworking tools of all types and
vintages.  He knows little about woodworking and is inventorying the stuff
in his garage.  It was sad to see good tools rusting without purpose. It
made me think about the individual who owned them and the lifetime of
skills that passed away with him.

I am not a gifted craftsman, but I have built some basic furniture and
after 30 years have collected my share of tools.  I do not want my tools
and interest in woodworking to end with an advertisement in Craigs List.
After retiring I started focusing on woodworking projects for individuals
who appreciate them.  I volunteered for work at churches, schools, Habitat
homes and needy families in the neighborhood.

Several years ago my son and I got involved in a large area Boy Scout
troop.  One of the requirements to achieve Eagle Scout rank is to develop,
fund and complete a project for an nonprofit organization.   Many of the
projects require a woodworking component.  Over the years we have built a
bridge, worked in an airplane museum, a soup kitchen, a home for battered
women, a home for challenged kids, churches, schools, parks and most
recently a residence for homeless kids.  We have built cabinets, shelving
units, benches, swim platforms, beds and a variety of structures to house
everything from custom printers to fired pottery.

Most of these projects are made out of ruff framing lumber and plywood.
There were a few "finished" projects.  To date I have been involved in 45
Eagle projects.  My son graduated the program as an Eagle Scout a couple
years ago.  Friends ask me why I continue to volunteer.

After some thought here is why I would recommend it:  There are few things
more rewarding than seeing the “I made that.” look of pride in a teenager’s
eyes when he finishes his first wood working project.  The boy completes
each phase of every project.  We normally make the first item as a
prototype.  I supply jigs to keep things square and screw holes aligned.
We use a table saw, chop saw, cordless drills, circle saw, routers, planes,
orbital sander, grinders and other tools in my collection.  Along the way
we talk shop safety and I pass along some of the wisdom my dad gave me.

The boy does the work.  He meets with the nonprofit organization,
determines their needs and the project scope.  He works up a contract with
the organization representative.  He gets funding and meets with the big
box stores to get discounted materials.  He learns basic wood working
skills and has a requirement to teach at least two others what he has
learned.  He tracks costs and is accountable for bringing the project in
under budget.  Parents get involved.  Photos are taken throughout the
process.   The final delivery has to be approved by the nonprofit
organizational representative.  In every case we have exceeded their
expectations.

I continue to build "finished" furniture.  It is a good way to push
yourself and improve your skills.  There is a lot of satisfaction in
sharing those skills with the next generation.  There is also value in
teaching young men to work in the service of others.

There is a whole generation of young boys who could profit from what you
know.  Few of their parents have your skills or life experience.  If you
are looking for your next woodworking challenge I would recommend that you
contact the Scout Master of your local Boy Scout Troop and offer your
services.

YIS

*Herb *