[Woodworkers] Small parts shelf

Steve Bigelow sbig333 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 11:58:06 PDT 2021

I've been 3D printing and using these small parts storage system boxes for
a few years now. They suit my needs, and I can quickly print another when
needed.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1493275

But, stacking them up was getting to be a problem, so I designed a storage
shelf unit to hold them. See https://a360.co/3lIy9Wr

While I could have cut this out using traditional methods or even power
tool methods, I chose to use it as a learning tool for my CNC router. All
of the slots and half circles were cut on the CNC. The rest was done on the
table saw.

The slots on this would have been easy to do on the table saw, but not
super easy since the laminate flooring was 8.6mm thick. The half circles
would have taken a lot longer. I cut those half circles on the CNC in about
15 minutes. It took me about 10 minutes to add the circles to the shelves
and then create the CNC path. Say 30 minutes total.

Since this was a learning tool, I went with cheap "wood". I remodeled a
rental last year, and ripped out a lot of cabinets. The outer shell for
this cabinet is made from that particle board stuff. The shelves are from
the laminate flooring that was in the house. Simple glue and finish nails.

I know, not fancy, but still shop time. Now to build the second one for my
imperial small screws, nuts, and washers.

[image: image.png]

Regards,
-Steve
http://woodworking.bigelowsite.com