[Woodworkers] Hey Royce

Jason Beam beamer at beamerweb.com
Tue Apr 28 12:27:49 PDT 2020

Not to pollute the memorial thread for Joe, I thought I'd start a new
one to answer your question...

Royce so succulently said....

Speaking of topics to talk about....has anyone took the plunge into CNC
stuff? and how is that working out for you if you have?

I have looked and am thinking about making my own...might not know what
I am getting myself into, but looks interesting if nothing else.

To which I alluringly reply....

Yessir. Around 2012, I designed and built my first CNC router. Fillmed
some of it back in the day and put it on YouTube. At first it was just
to tinker around and such. I would occasionally cut stuff for other
folks but nothing super serious. Then in 2016, I had enough workin' for
the man and quit my lucrative programming job. Spent the rest of that
summer living the good life sitting on my ass doin' nothin. Ahh, memories.

My machine was built of mainly an MDF torsion box for the table and a
bunch of structural aluminum shapes (channel, angle, etc). To my
surprise, it also did an okay job cutting some metals like aluminum and
brass. That summer I freeloaded, someone asked me to make 'em a branding
iron and I figured what the hell. Brass is pretty easy to cut, why not.

Well little did I know what lay before me. After some gentle nudging
from friends, I listed a branding iron on Etsy and what a shock. I woke
up the next day to 3 orders. Just like that. Holy dang. So I listed a
couple more designs and that first two weeks turned out to be my highest
earning two weeks in history. Better than my lucrative programming job!

Well, I says, looks to me like I found myself a way to earn a living
without actually needing to wear pants. It's been  3-1/2 years now. I've
since designed and built a dedicated CNC machine to do irons and free up
Ol' Bertha to get some much needed love. That first machine ran hundreds
of hours of irons for the first 3 years. I'm shocked it still works,
frankly, seein' as how I'm the knucklehead what built it.

Anywho - Yep - CNC is within reach. If you're a tinkerer, building one
is quite a lot of fun and challenging. I'll give you the secret to
building a good machine: Don't cheap out and make rigidity your
priority. You'll thank me later.

Anywho 2, Electric Boogaloo ... If'n you wanna dig into it - hop in our
chat room, or jump on that same network and join #cnc and I'll blather
endlessly until you decide to just buy one ready-made.

HTH

--
Jason Beam
Sacramento, CA