[Woodworkers] Warning - Ridgid LSA

Dave Heitstuman DaveH at sphcontrols.com
Tue Jan 29 16:02:24 PST 2019

Too add a bit to Chuck's story, I randomly follow a fellows tool blog/website?  The guy does tool reviews, puts up info on new tools, specials, sales etc.  I think it was around Christmas he did a little thing about the discrepancy in I think it was some Milwaukee pricing through Amazon compared to the local pricing at a tool store and even Home Depot.  In researching it he discovered exactly what Chuck has described.  Some body buys a pallet of stuff from a wholesaler and then turns around and sells it as new product, which technically it is.  Problem is, Milwaukee does not recognize you as the original buyer and therefore it has no warranty.  It was theorized that the same thing would apply to any of the tool manufacturers.  Good enough reason right there to not support Amazon for me :)  Funny thing is that I don't buy much from Amazon anyway.  Typically it is an odd ball something I cannot find locally.  When it comes to tools I prefer to buy locally, unless I just can't pass up some screaming deal on CPO.  But even then I go to CPO/tool manufacturer.  So hopefully if I buy from CPO Makita it has it's full warranty and I am the buyer.

With that said I still wonder how the registration and LSA would work in Washington State.  The state passed a law years ago that you do not have to fill out the registration card for the warranty.  You just have to keep all of your paperwork and receipts.