[Woodworkers] Finishing MDO

Dave Heitstuman DaveH at sphcontrols.com
Mon Nov 5 09:31:20 PST 2018

So we are just about finished with a fairly major interior remodel of our humble abode.  The 2 bedroom closets had these painted shelves that were probably original to the house built in 1940.  I really did not want to put them back.  Actually I really do not want painted shelves period.  I thought about the wire closet stuff but the supports are pretty much a permanent part of the wall so installing the wire stuff may not have worked really well?
I wanted to go with something that would be flat and smooth and hopefully easy to finish.  For whatever reason I chose MDO plywood.  It's flat and smooth but I really didn't think it through on the finishing.  I tried some wipe on poly on a scrap and was not overly impressed with the results.  So I did some Googling.  The only thing that I have come up with that seemed to be a decent recommendation is General Finishes Arm-R-Seal.  And before anyone asks yes I edged the front of the plywood :)

Anybody have any other suggestions?

2Dave
"professional putzer"