[Woodworkers] Best laid plans......

Richard Allen rla_buy at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 06:39:39 PST 2018

The motor run at near max HP all the time.  Putting a larger blower on a motor will over power the motor.  You could cool the motor or expect the motor to fail fairly quickly.  If you get a bigger blower you will get a bigger motor (either at the start or after the motor dies).

Another way to increase the air flow is to increase the airflow through the filter.  Increase the surface area of the filters.  Please note that a canister filter provides a LOT more surface area in the same size footprint.  Factories have “Bag rooms” for their dust collection.  You could just exit the dust outside for max air flow.

The last area where you can increase air flow is on the input side.  Big pipe will increase air flow.  The down side of large pipe is a decrease in static pressure.  The ability to lift and move is with high static pressure.  A Shop Vac can lift a cannon ball but it can’t collect fine saw dust from a foot away.  Whereas an 8” pipe connected to a large DC can collect fine sawdust from 3’ away.

Recap:

Bigger blower (fan) needs a bigger motor

More filter increases airflow but bigger filters cost more.

Bigger pipes move more air but cant lift heavy loads.  And big pipe cost more.