[Woodworkers] Stupid question # 347

Harvey Freeman harvey.freeman at eastlink.ca
Sat Aug 25 04:52:46 PDT 2018

Hello all;

Several different types of construction may be used for the core in solid core doors.

1. A lumber core will be made up of 3/4” x thickness of the core pieces of wood glued together into a slab.

2. Various forms of particle board as a slab for the core.

Good appearance grade solid wood is used around the edges to also provide something to screw hinges into.  That wood may not be very thick and in fact may not be sufficient to hold screws for the long term.  Typically the wood on the edges is not more than 3/4” thick – not 2” to 4” as Tom says.  Appearance grade wood costs more money so they use it sparingly.

As Tom says below with some effort the door can be cut down and fillers glued in place to make the door stronger than original.

Harvey Freeman