[Woodworkers] Tenon Cutting

via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Fri Jun 2 14:17:03 PDT 2017

I cut a fair number of tenons for the furniture that I make, and I have tried several different methods on a tablesaw. The method I like the most is cutting them on a shaper with two 6" Freud sawblades. I place a rub collar and spacers in between, which gives me precisely a 1/4" or 5/16"tenon. These are the two sizes I use the most. Fastenal sells 1/2" and 3/4" shims which are ideal for dialing in the exact thickness.

 You could also do these on a router table with 1/2" mandrel. You must careful and use a variable speed router. You must and slow it down, as most saw blades are limited to between 5,000 and 10,000 rpms.

Either way, make sure your boards are flat, run them face down and you will wind up with perfectly sized  tenons. All that is left to do is to cut the shoulders and you are done.

Gary Williams