[Woodworkers] Advice on hand cut dovetails

via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Sun Jan 15 14:09:54 PST 2017

In a message dated 1/15/2017 10:57:53 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org writes:

I have recently gotten motivated to make a few items with  hand cut
dovetails.  The how to articles I have read to date show thin  pins and wide tails.
 I recognize that using a router bit to cut  dovetails defines the width of
the pins, but is there a reason that hand cut  dovetails shouldn't have
wider pins that would be sturdier and easier to  chisel out?
Herb,

If you look at the evolution of the dovetail, the early ones both the tails
 and pins were really chunky. Then in the 1700's the English decided to
make the tails wide and the pins narrow. It does take more skill to cut and
fit  thin pins. I've seen many antiques from the 1700's and early 1800's with
thin  pins and the drawers are still holding up fine. It also makes a huge
difference  as to what type of wood you use. If you look at English antiques,
they almost  always have white oak for the drawer sides, because that was
readily  available. New England furniture makers used white pine and poplar,
and southern  furniture makers used Southern yellow heart pine for drawer
sides.

I hope this helps.

Gary Williams