[Woodworkers] Christmas present help needed!!

Chuck Steger chuck.steger at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 17:07:24 PST 2017

Jason,

   No, I glued it up flat on the bench. I know what you mean, normally I
glue panels on my Bessey clamps so they are elevated. In this case I offset
the boards by 2” (alternating boards – picket fence style) so I cut two 3/8”
dados (top and bottom of boards) for a 3/8” cleat that ran across the back
to keep it aligned. Honestly, I also thought that would help keep it flat.
So when I glued it, I did it face down on the bench so I could ensure the
cleats were seated in the dados. Interestingly enough, the panel was flat
coming out of the clamps and all day that day. It was flat when I left the
shop that night.

Gary,

   Yes, I have a joiner and planer so my first milling was to 1 ¼” and sit a
day, then >7/8” and sit a day, and then final ¾”. But your point is well
taken, I should have purchased them much earlier. The irony is I have some
2x4’s and a 2x10 in my shop that had been there for a while. I keep cheap
wood like that to make prototypes. I knew I had them but I thought I would
just go buy new and keep what I had. Lesson learned! In fact. I may go buy
more to have in the shop just for occasions like this (my daughter and her
family lean to the rustic). I did not alternate grain but I did use cauls.
Thanks for the offer to call. I may still do it!

   I ended up spending the day trying to rescue what I had. The one panel
made of 1x4’s is twisted and can’t be fixed. But the one I made out of
milled 2x4’s had a cup in the center. Quite frankly, if the convex part of
the cup was on the show side. I probably would have called it good. That
would have put the sides flat against the wall and stable but if you looked
from the top or bottom, you would see a gap in the middle. No one would see
if from top or bottom (much) so I would have settled. However, the convex
side was on the back so the middle of the panel would hit the wall first and
it would have been wobbly. Given my time crunch, I decided to try to take
the cup out using a jointer plane, finish plane, and a belt sander. I know
that would have made the middle boards thinner than the end boards, but
against a wall, who would notice. I was not successful doing that. So I
decided to cut the panel  in 2 (which cut my cleats also but now I only had
to align 2 panels, not 9 boards), plane it flat, and re-glue. This kind of
worked. The problem was the planer pushed the panels flat so they were still
not totally flat. So then I had this idea to use the TS as a jointer. In
other words, If I hold then end of the ½ panel flat against the TS, it
elevates the cut end a little (1/8”). I then did the same to the other ½
panel. In effect, what this did was when I glued both panels back together,
the ends stayed flat to the table and the joint closed with no gaps. If you
look under the panel, you see the ends fat on the table and the middle
raised by about ¼”. I will find out tomorrow if this worked. I hate to even
admit I’m doing it that way and with more time, I would remake from scratch
with all of your suggestions. But, alas, time is not my friend. If I get the
panel to look flat against the wall and not rock, I am going to call that
success! Stay tuned.

Chuck