[Woodworkers] Upgrading the DeWalt 735

Thomas E Lovelace t.lovelace at icloud.com
Fri Dec 8 18:25:39 PST 2017

If you are not considering changing the cutters in a DeWalt 735, you can just hit Delete.

I received the Byrd Shelix cutting head for the new DeWalt DW735 today.
Unfortunately, the planer has not even shipped yet. Soon, I am told.

About the Shelix cutterhead:
This thing comes with both bearings already installed, along with 40 cutters.
The cutting bits are arranged in 4 spirals around the shaft. Each spiral has 10 bits on it.
The package also comes with 4 extra cutters and a TP25 Torq bit and handle
As far as sound reduction, the following was copied from the Byrd Tools site;

Extreme noise reduction
When you think of the straight knives in your original cutter head, they work just like a fan that moves air at very high speeds. This is what is causing the high noise levels when no wood is passing through the machine. With a SHELIX helical cutterhead, the knives are only 15mm (about ½” wide) and the air movement caused by each individual knife causes so much less noise that even the addition of all knives doesn’t generate as much noise as one straight knife. When you plane a 10 inch wide board for example, the traditional straight knives will cut these 10 inches straight off which also causes a high noise level. Because of the spiral pattern, a SHELIX head will remove only 15mm (about ½ inch) at any given time, causing a decreased noise level. While the noise level reduction is measurable in db, we cannot put a general number on it as it depends on your machine and many factors (width of the machine, number of straight knives, RPM’s etc.) However, many people report a noise reduction of up to 50%.
The heads are now available from Amazon for about $368 and with immediate delivery. Byrd sells them for $370 but has a 3 month waiting list !
TomL