[Woodworkers] New Shop

Mike Hales via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Mon Sep 26 17:10:51 PDT 2016

Well, after four years in our new home we finally got around to getting
a shop building put up.
It's 20' X 28' slab-on-grade with  8' ceilings. Best we could do for the
bucks.
I have natural gas and a 60-amp sub panel run to it from the house and
(after some tribulations with the 'lectrical inspector over the trench
being covered. Long story), we have passed inspections and are good to go.
Wondering if any of you all had suggestions as to wiring and heating
options. I think I know how I want the layout to flow, with 20-amp
circuits for the bigger tools and Cyclone, air compressor, etc. and
15-amp circuits for the lighting and general bench receptacles.
I'm leaning towards an overhead garage heater (Hot Dawg type) in about
the 50,000 BTU range with external combustion air so's I don't suck all
that dust into the burners and such. Any opinions or alternatives along
these lines would be appreciated?
What I'm really up against is my nemesis the Inspector. He started
citing all kinds of "Class 2, Class 3 Combustible, dusty environment..."
and other rigamarole, telling me I had to have dust collection hooked up
to every damn tool I own. Finally, he left a note on the sub panel that
we need a separate permit for the inside wiring (duh). I was going to do
so, but this guy's going to have a bead on me every step of the way. Not
very friendly to a home-owner do-it-your-self-er type like me, it seems.
I think I'm going to need a bullet-proof plan to submit for the permit,
or else just do it and hope it doesn't creep back later and bite me.
Probably not a good idea...
I really want to do things right, but the budget says I need to do this
myself. I can run wires and all that, I have a code-checker book (a
little dated) and have run lots of Romex in my day, but getting the
specs just right is a little daunting.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Mike Hales
Nampa, ID

---