[Woodworkers] Joe Johns and the tale of a bathroom

via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Sat Sep 24 12:59:27 PDT 2016

Great story!
Gary Williams

In a message dated 9/24/2016 3:08:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org writes:

What is the old saying about friends?  A Good Friend  will help you bury
the body, a Great Friend brings his own  shovel?
I first met Joe about 11 years ago.  Not long after, I  was invited to join
the list.   He has been back over to Spokane at  least twice.  Once to help
Spud Dave with his shop and once for a  gathering of woodworkers.  We have
exchanged emails periodically over the  years, then about 4 years ago he
helped me in the acquisition of a Delta  Jointer.  Some of you may remember the
stories (2 versions, mine and  Joes) of my trip to the twisted Knot
Woodshop to pick up the jointer.   This week Joe was back in Spokane turning a half
bath into a full bath for my  daughter.
Let me back up a bit.  My daughter came up with this  idea to turn a half
bath into a full bath and of course I get the “daddy can  you” phone call.
Gutting the space, and for the most part putting the  bathroom back together
I could do.  But I have my own stuff to do, and  more importantly I would
not get it done fast enough for her.  Then there  is the matter of the
plumbing.  I do not do plumbing.  I know all  about plumbing,  I know the terms,
the different types of fittings, I  even know how it all goes together.  I
even plumbed halon suppression  systems for 8 years.  Ironically I actually
work for a plumbing  contractor*.
But, where water is involved no matter how meticulous I am  something
leaks.  Therefore I realize my limits and I draw the line, I do  not do plumbing.

I don’t mind hanging sheetrock but I really don’t like to  tape, nor do I
have clue on how to texture.  So I told her I would help  get it gutted but
I was not putting it back together.  She did her  research and called 3
people for bids.  The first guy who was highly  recommended came out looked at
it, asked her what her budget was and proceeded  to provide a bid that was 2-
1/2 times the low end of her budget.  The  second guy was very positive and
interested in doing the job.  She never  got a bid from him.  The third guy
wouldn’t call her back.  I  figured part of the problem was twofold.  One
they really didn’t want to  do the job.  Two, the bathtub needed to be
smaller than a standard tub,  and maybe they were looking in the wrong places for
one?
Although I really did not want to do it I wasn’t going to  let her pay that
kind of money for a bathroom.  So reluctantly  I  started planning the
logistics of me doing it.  I called a plumber we  work with at work to see if
any of his guys did side work.  Then I had  this crazy idea to call Joe and
see if he would come help.  Initially I  was half kidding when I called him.
But as the conversation evolved I  realized that he was more than willing to
come help.  The next hurdle was  a place to stay.  Our house is too small
and the daughters house is  full.  So I called Spud Dave to see if he could
tolerate a house guest of  Joes caliber for a few days.  After a little
prodding Dave said  yes.  I believe his exact words were “only because it is for
your  daughter”.  Had it been for me I could foot the bill for a motel.
With Joe on board all I had to do was get all the  materials.  This I can
do.  With my various careers through life I  have allot of connections.  With
these connections there is not much I  can’t buy at true wholesale pricing.
 So the daughter and I were off to  the local plumbing supply showroom and
we picked out everything she needed  including a 54” tub.  Then it was off
to the electrical house for those  parts and pieces.  A trip to Lowes for
misc building materials and then a  trip to the local wholesale hardware store
(where dad worked) to get what was  need there.  When it was time we got the
space gutted and I got the  electrical roughed in.
Monday Joe shows up with a hammer and chisel and wanted to  know where the
new bathroom was going.  The remainder of the week is  somewhat of a blur.
I had planned on handing Joe the key to the house  and going about my
business this week.  There was no way that I was  spending my entire vacation
working on my daughters bathroom.  Somehow I  became his gopher, and the time
just went by.   Joe handled putting  the bathroom together even though the
existing plumbing was a nightmare, the  water shutoff valve for the house
failed, and he was handicapped by me  questioning everything he did.  Joe why are
you doing this?  Joe why  is it going that way?  And more than one; Joe are
you sure you want to do  it that way?  I’m sure there were other things I
said or did that he will  write about.  Plumbing was involved so of course
the obligatory multiple  trips to the store for plumbing parts was inevitable.
 I am happy to  report that we met that requirement and maybe exceeded it.
All kidding aside I think we did pretty well  together.  It truly was a
pleasure working with him.  He will be  back in a week to finish up in the
bathroom and start on part two of the job  which was added at some point.  I’m
not sure if I will be able to take  more time off work but I am going to try.
 After all spending another day  or two with Joe is better than a day at
work anytime.
We are now back to that old saying about friends.  Not  only was Joe
willing to help but more importantly he brought his own shovel  (tools)J
Thanks Joe!
*I really do work for a plumbing contractor.  At one  time we were one of
the biggest in the area.  Back in the late 80’s/early  90’s the company
evolved out of that racket and now we primarily do building
automation/integration.  The only plumbing we do is when it is connected  to HVAC service, such
as boilers and gas lines for new or replaced  equipment.
=

Ya  know, life is all about perspective; when the Titanic sank it was a
miracle to  the lobsters in the ship's  kitchen
Woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org

To unsubscribe from this  list  -
http://lists.sawdusters.org/listinfo.cgi/woodworkers-sawdusters.org

Address  to contact the list ADMIN staff  -
woodworkers-owner at lists.sawdusters.org