[Woodworkers] Joe Johns and the tale of a bathroom

Dave Heitstuman via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Sat Sep 24 10:50:16 PDT 2016

What is the old saying about friends?  A Good Friend will help you bury the body, a Great Friend brings his own shovel?

I first met Joe about 11 years ago.  Not long after, I was invited to join the list.   He has been back over to Spokane at least twice.  Once to help Spud Dave with his shop and once for a gathering of woodworkers.  We have exchanged emails periodically over the years, then about 4 years ago he helped me in the acquisition of a Delta Jointer.  Some of you may remember the stories (2 versions, mine and Joes) of my trip to the twisted Knot Woodshop to pick up the jointer.  This week Joe was back in Spokane turning a half bath into a full bath for my daughter.

Let me back up a bit.  My daughter came up with this idea to turn a half bath into a full bath and of course I get the "daddy can you" phone call.  Gutting the space, and for the most part putting the bathroom back together I could do.  But I have my own stuff to do, and more importantly I would not get it done fast enough for her.  Then there is the matter of the plumbing.  I do not do plumbing.  I know all about plumbing,  I know the terms, the different types of fittings, I even know how it all goes together.  I even plumbed halon suppression systems for 8 years.  Ironically I actually work for a plumbing contractor*.
But, where water is involved no matter how meticulous I am something leaks.  Therefore I realize my limits and I draw the line, I do not do plumbing.
I don't mind hanging sheetrock but I really don't like to tape, nor do I have clue on how to texture.  So I told her I would help get it gutted but I was not putting it back together.  She did her research and called 3 people for bids.  The first guy who was highly recommended came out looked at it, asked her what her budget was and proceeded to provide a bid that was 2- 1/2 times the low end of her budget.  The second guy was very positive and interested in doing the job.  She never got a bid from him.  The third guy wouldn't call her back.  I figured part of the problem was twofold.  One they really didn't want to do the job.  Two, the bathtub needed to be smaller than a standard tub, and maybe they were looking in the wrong places for one?

Although I really did not want to do it I wasn't going to let her pay that kind of money for a bathroom.  So reluctantly  I started planning the logistics of me doing it.  I called a plumber we work with at work to see if any of his guys did side work.  Then I had this crazy idea to call Joe and see if he would come help.  Initially I was half kidding when I called him.  But as the conversation evolved I realized that he was more than willing to come help.  The next hurdle was a place to stay.  Our house is too small and the daughters house is full.  So I called Spud Dave to see if he could tolerate a house guest of Joes caliber for a few days.  After a little prodding Dave said yes.  I believe his exact words were "only because it is for your daughter".  Had it been for me I could foot the bill for a motel.
With Joe on board all I had to do was get all the materials.  This I can do.  With my various careers through life I have allot of connections.  With these connections there is not much I can't buy at true wholesale pricing.  So the daughter and I were off to the local plumbing supply showroom and we picked out everything she needed including a 54" tub.  Then it was off to the electrical house for those parts and pieces.  A trip to Lowes for misc building materials and then a trip to the local wholesale hardware store (where dad worked) to get what was need there.  When it was time we got the space gutted and I got the electrical roughed in.

Monday Joe shows up with a hammer and chisel and wanted to know where the new bathroom was going.  The remainder of the week is somewhat of a blur.  I had planned on handing Joe the key to the house and going about my business this week.  There was no way that I was spending my entire vacation working on my daughters bathroom.  Somehow I became his gopher, and the time just went by.   Joe handled putting the bathroom together even though the existing plumbing was a nightmare, the water shutoff valve for the house failed, and he was handicapped by me questioning everything he did.  Joe why are you doing this?  Joe why is it going that way?  And more than one; Joe are you sure you want to do it that way?  I'm sure there were other things I said or did that he will write about.  Plumbing was involved so of course the obligatory multiple trips to the store for plumbing parts was inevitable.  I am happy to report that we met that requirement and maybe exceeded it.

All kidding aside I think we did pretty well together.  It truly was a pleasure working with him.  He will be back in a week to finish up in the bathroom and start on part two of the job which was added at some point.  I'm not sure if I will be able to take more time off work but I am going to try.  After all spending another day or two with Joe is better than a day at work anytime.

We are now back to that old saying about friends.  Not only was Joe willing to help but more importantly he brought his own shovel (tools):)

Thanks Joe!

*I really do work for a plumbing contractor.  At one time we were one of the biggest in the area.  Back in the late 80's/early 90's the company evolved out of that racket and now we primarily do building automation/integration.  The only plumbing we do is when it is connected to HVAC service, such as boilers and gas lines for new or replaced equipment.