[Woodworkers] Turning Help

Gcw804 at aol.com Gcw804 at aol.com
Mon Nov 28 15:39:48 PST 2016

Hi All,
I'm making a walnut cabinet for our bathroom, which is patterned after a
mid 1800's French Country Pine Nightstand. It has bun feet. I've turned 4 for
 the new piece, but am not exactly happy with them. When Turning the bun or
ball  part, it is difficult for me to get them ball shaped. I turned a
cylinder a tad  larger than the finished diameter of the bun. Then I marked the
bun off in  thirds, and started turning. Starting from the middle working my
way down to the  ends. I used a 1/2" skew and 1/4" thumbnail gouge.
Pictures attached. The first picture is the original cabinet and  the
second is one of the feet that I turned.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gary Williams
Mechanicsville VA.