[Woodworkers] Wood movement in Hand Mirror

Chuck Steger chuck.steger at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 09:51:35 PST 2016

   I’m making some hand mirror’s (4x6 oval mirror) as Christmas presents. I
used the actual mirror to rout a wooden mirror template (note: If you do
this, the mirror will get beat up a little so make it a sacrifice mirror –
not too bad at $2/mirror). I then took the mirror template and using
different size router collars and a ¼” router bit, created an exact mirror
hole template. This took several steps using different collars (who said
woodworkers don’t use math!) but it created a piston fit between the solid
template and hole template. I was really pleased it came out so well
considering it’s a stepped process. Of course the real test is does the
mirror fit and it is an exact fit. I will use the hole template and a
pattern mortising bit to rout the recess for the mirror. I’ll also use the
solid template to rout a channel for inlay around the mirror.

   As pleased as I am that I achieved a piston fit in the 2 templates, I am
now wondering if that is a good thing or not. In other words, will wood
movement pop out the mirror or even break it? I plan to rout an 1/8” recess
for the mirror and attach the mirror with carpet tape. I don’t want to glue
mirror in case someone needs the mirror replaced (I’ve had to chisel out a
glued mirror before and it is a PITA). Do I need to take a large dowel
wrapped with sandpaper and open up the hole a little on the hole template?
If so, how much?

   I know wood moves in both directions (across the grain) and if you glue
something in, sometimes it forces the wood movement to the outside (as
opposed to the inside) but the mirror won’t be glued.

   Thanks!

Chuck