[Woodworkers] Centerpieces?

Steve Bigelow sbig333 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 09:28:57 PST 2016

The bark will stay on better if the tree is cut during the winter.

You'll need to make sure it it is dry and stabilized. Also, use something
like Pentacryl to help stabilize it.
You could use Cactus Juice to stabilize as well, but that gets pretty
expensive. It's about $100 per gallon. Of course, Pentacryl is in the same
price range, but you don't need to use as much.

Use CA glue to glue back together split pieces, and use colored epoxy to
help fill in splits.

Drilling out the center tends to help keep the piece from splitting.

I would use maple or walnut for something like this. Cherry seems to split
if you look at it wrong, so that's probably your worst choice.

Regards,
-Steve
http://woodworking.bigelowsite.com
http://pen-blanks.us