[Woodworkers] Another goodie from YouTube

Joe Johns via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Mon Mar 21 15:36:20 PDT 2016

I ain't ashamed to admit it - I'm a YouTube whore!

Every night I'm out there walking my beat, turning tricks and selling
myself to every two-bit clown who did a video on some shop-made tool or
some lamebrain idea on a plastic shredder.  It's terrible and someone has
to stop me - my greatest nightmare is discovering an end to YouTube and
then I'm driving to Post Falls where I beat the snot outta Dave b'cuz
that's whose fault it is.

Well, last Friday I was back on my beat and found a video of a center
finder.  I watched the first 7 seconds of it and said out loud, "I've been
threatening to make one of these for years!"

In the past I used a straight edge and did the corner-to-corner thing...for
years!  In fact, every single time I did the corner-to-corner thing I would
say, "One of these days I'm gonna make a center finder."

The very next day I went in the shop like a Southern Baptist preacher
spouting fire 'n brimstone, "Stand back away from MEEEEEEE you retched
machines and tools and watch MEEEEEE make a center finder!"  I swear, I was
doing so good with my preaching lightning was zapping everywhere.

Folks, it took me no longer'n 45 minutes to make this.  I ended up using
1/2" MDO for the body.  The blade is a strip of aluminum I cut from a stop
sign.  Also, the model is done for you right-handed scum but on mine I
flipped the blade (it's also in version 8 for those of you who haven't
upgraded to 2015).

The SketchUp file...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27445473/CenterFinder.skp

If you don't have/use SU then I give you these pics of it with dims (the
blade is 1 1/4" wide)...

​

​
​

--
Joe,
The Twisted Knot Woodshop, "There's never been a classier joint"