[Woodworkers] Still working on possible lathe acquisition

Clint Warren via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Fri Mar 18 14:44:31 PDT 2016

Due to busy schedules I have not yet got my radial arm saw out the door.  Supposed to happen tomorrow.

When he first looked at the saw he mentioned a trade for a Walker Turner lathe.  The only picture he's sent is of the nameplate with the serial number.  It is a model L951.

In our sparse texting he mentioned that it has odd threads.  I knew that from my research.  This wouldn't be a bad thing depending on what comes with it (chucks, etc.), which I still don't know.

I've seen posts on the interweb from a few people who have had a new replacement shaft machined with standard threads.

So to my question:
Does anyone know what this sort of machining costs?  I've never had anything machined.  All this won't be much of a deal if I have Nova type money in an old lathe.  Also not sure how hard it is to remove and replace the shaft.

 If I don't end up with the lathe that's cool.  Just be happy to get rid of the saw and clear some shop space.

 thanks,
 clint