[Woodworkers] Dust collection

John McCaskill via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Wed Mar 16 17:42:06 PDT 2016

Good points. I ignored Bill's input on grounding, took to heart his lectures on dust issues in the lungs, and took quite a bit, but not all, of his advice on filtration. My system doesn't have the horsepower he thinks you need, and I don't have a cyclone on the main dust collection system, but I do have a modified inlet baffle on my dust collector and a 1/2 micron filter I never have to clean. My shop vac has a super dust deputy on it, and that also has a HEPA filter which never gets dusty.

The lung issues are very important to me, and I study them carefully. Since my wife has a very severe case of COPD, I see everyday the difficulty one has in living with lung disease. I never turn on a dust generating machine without dust collection and/or wearing a powered respirator with a good filter. After a session at my lathe, there are wood chips all around the lathe, my clothes are dusty, but my face and my lungs are clear. I'm still trying to rig up a good at-the-source dust collection setup for my lathe.

John

A life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?