[Woodworkers] I followed the directions really I did.......

Dave Heitstuman via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Wed Jun 29 08:24:46 PDT 2016

It has been awfully quiet around here so I figured it was time to share something woodworking related.

I was asked to make a life sized Connect Four game for a family function in August.  Normally I would procrastinate until at least mid July before I started it but for some unknown reason I decided to not wait until the last minute so I gathered up the parts the first of June and went to work.  I have been putzing away at it in between landscaping projects and other yard work.

First up was to cut 35 round discs with a 5" hole saw.  Hmmm I have a 4" but no 5" and it will be all of $20+ to buy so what if I make a template and use the router?
I'll rough cut them on the bandsaw and then clean them up with the router and the template.  I made a master template and 3 more so I could route multiple at a time.  A few hours later I had 36 round discs.  I ran a 1/8" round over bit around the edges and sanded them smooth.  They are ready for paint.
Next I laid out the grid for all the 4" holes in the plywood and went to work drilling them.
I milled the pieces that separate the 2 pieces of Swiss cheese and started laying things out.
Things were just not laying out right.  I reread the cut list.  I verified the measurements, everything was right.  Something has to be wrong with the disks.  5" hole saw 5" disks, nope we are good there.
All right the directions from the internet must be wrong, so I trimmed the dividers down, test fit stuff, well its better but not right.  Reread the cut list and triple checked the measurements, it is all good.
Trimmed a bit more from the dividers, ok this is better.  Temporarily clamp the dividers on and start sliding the disks in, uhhhhhh why is the top disk sticking out?  Better yet why are the upper disks not covering the holes right???
About this time my potty mouth is spewing all kinds of bad words.  Before I started throwing things or smashing the Swiss cheese into firewood I walked away.  About half an hour later I read the cut list again.  I checked all the measurements again.  Everything is right, but the disks are just too big.  Reread it again.  I don't get it 5" hole saw 5" disks.  A short time later the brick fell from somewhere and hit me in the head.
5" hole saw would be 5" OD, the disks need to be the ID, DOH!
I got the 4" hole saw out figured out what the ID would be added an inch and made a new template, well 4 new templates.  The process has started trimming them all down.
At least they were too big, sighhhhhhh...........

Stay tuned for more...........

2Dave
"professional putzer"
The shop:  http://picasaweb.google.com/justdavesshop