[Woodworkers] Tool Prices

Dave Heitstuman via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Thu Jul 14 10:34:52 PDT 2016

Interesting calculator.

I agree with pretty much everything that was said by everyone.  My take is once it is out of the box it is basically worth 50% of the original price it sold for or possibly 50% of new (assuming new is higher) depending on what it is.  The only way I would pay a higher price is if it was unique, rare, it was virtually new and I really wanted it.

The only exception to the price when new may be the "vintage tool" stuff.  Take the early Delta stuff with the Art Deco bases for example.  I would suspect that some of that stuff in a restored condition is selling for at least what it sold for new if not more.

As for Steve's comments remind me not to buy from him :)  The fact he did well selling that stuff, is probably not the norm.
Case in point I have a 10" Craftsman saw that has been highly upgraded, Biesmeyer fence, new 2hp motor, better on/off safety switch, machined pulleys, link belt, PALS alignment system several zero clearance inserts and some other minor additions.  It really is a decent saw.  All in all I'm probably in the saw every bit of $800.00 if not more.  In the end it is still a Craftsman saw and I think I would be lucky to get $200.00 out of it.  I'd probably do better parting it out if I could find the right market.