[Woodworkers] Another shop improvement project

Joe Johns via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Thu Jan 28 08:12:13 PST 2016

For a good number of years I have needed a sandblasting cabinet in the shop.

I can't count the number of times I have taken a handful of bolts, nuts,
rusty bits and pieces over to the wire wheel and stand there cleaning them
and ultimately having several being flung from my grasp and I get to stop
for awhile and go find it.  In fact, I have a word for it...

Partzalookout (parts-a-look-out) – A job title. You acquire the title the
instant you begin roaming around the shop looking for the thing that flew
out of your hands while using a bench grinder. It can usually be found in
the adjoining county.

Besides that one, I have a list of other woodworking words I made up
http://www.twistedknotwoodshop.com/WackyWords.htm but I digress.

Then there are the times where I had a piece either too big or painted that
needed cleaning and would have to drive over to a friend's place and use
his blasting cabinet.

About a week ago I received an email from Harbor Freight containing a
coupon for their blasting cabinet; normally priced at $350.00 but $200.00
off of that with the coupon made it $150.00!  That's when I said, "I'm
gonna do it, I'm gonna get this and finally have a blasting cabinet in the
shop!"

Well, that was my intention right up until the very moment I downloaded the
manual for their cabinet and viewed the assembly procedures.  Jeepers!  The
enormous amount of bolts, nuts and hoops to jump through made my hair hurt,
which coincidentally, was the precise moment a thought entered my mind,
"Ummm, hey dummy!  You got a shop here, you have a goodly number of tools
and you have SketchUp (BONUS right there!) so why doncha build one?"

Over time I've found it very advantageous to listen to yourself.

This is it, the very next shop improvement project.  I've also attached the
SketchUp file if anyone wishes to look at it and pick it apart.  It's in
2015 version - let me know if you want it in an earlier version.

That is all.

​

--
Joe,
The Twisted Knot Woodshop, "There's never been a classier joint"