[Woodworkers] Have a chance to trade for a Walker-Turner lathe

Joe Johns via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Sun Feb 28 05:49:02 PST 2016

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 7:05 PM, Clint Warren asked us to gaze into a
crystal ball:

​<part where Clint sold his RAS snipped>
> He said that he has a Walker Turner lathe that he would trade for the
> saw.
>
> I don't know a model yet. Anything I should be wary of?

Yep.  ​Anything broken, missing or cobbled together.  Does the motor and
drive work easily?  Does it come with any tooling; centers, tool rests,
chucks, etc.?

> Like doesn't use standards so no readily available accessories work or
> something like that.

​In lathe speak, other than morse tapers, there is no such thing as
"standards".  Yes, the head stock could have a standard thread for a face
plate or whatever, but the shaft length could be 6" on one lathe and 16" on
another.  I would have to see this lathe to be more informed.  I can
definitely say WT made some really nice tools.  Hopefully your lathe will
be this model...

http://s163.photobucket.com/user/bugs73/media/Machinery/Picture048.jpg.html

​but, I really need to see pics of the one you may be getting.

> We settled on $250 for the saw, which as a trade doesn't seem like a bad
> deal if it is a decent lathe.

​Sorry, someone smeared grease on my crystal ball. ​

--
Joe,
The Twisted Knot Woodshop, "There's never been a classier joint"