[Woodworkers] So I was gifted this bar.

Roy Shrove via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Sat Feb 27 08:59:10 PST 2016

I have been thinking about your problem and was thinking about an
unconventional recommendation that I saw used on some old bowling alley
planks I once obtained.

I am unclear about the extent that you can disassemble the top, but there
may be a way around this if dis-assembly is not in the cards. Have you
considered using something like all-thread to effectively pull the various
pieces together and then use big washers and nuts to provide a immovable
rod to hold everything together regardless of wood movement?

If dis-assembly is an option drill center line through each piece then fish
some 1/4 - 1/2 (the bigger the better) all-thread across the width/length
then mechanically draw everything tightly together, covered by the finish
of your choice. If dis-assembly is out, beg/borrow steal...er..buy an
extended length auger bit similar to those used by electricians and
plumbers to create a path for the all-thread then proceed as above.

Granted this is not the best solution, but it would save the basic look and
material while providing some artificial stability that is obviously needed.

My 2.34 cents....YMMV

Roy​