[Woodworkers] Sawstop vs Bosch

Richard Emmel via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Tue Sep 8 06:31:16 PDT 2015

From: Woodworkers [mailto:woodworkers-bounces at lists.sawdusters.org] On Behalf Of Ben Reese via Woodworkers
Sent: Monday, September 7, 2015 8:16 PM
To: woodworkers at sawdusters.org; Gcw804 at aol.com
Subject: Re: [Woodworkers] Sawstop vs Bosch

Before I bought a saw last year I wrote Sawstop and asked them a question about  the moisture in treated wood setting off the blade retraction system.  I wish that I had not erased the message but what it amounted to was that  there was an over ride of some sort (me brain ain't what it used to be) but cutting treated wood or wood with high moisture content without setting the override was not recommended.  Anywho, I wonder if Bosch's system is the same or just will not trigger using treated wood.

Also, am I correct that before Sawstop saws the system was developed and was to go on a name brand saw like Jet or Delta but never happened because it was thought that it was too cost prohibitive?

Getting to the article, I would really like to know just how Sawstop has determined that their system has saved thousands, really thousands (?) of accidents.  If so, they have sold thousands of replacement cartridges to a whole lot of mighty careless folks.

My SS saved my thumb. SS GIVES you a replacement cartridge in return for a picture of the damaged digit. The blade gave me a bad manicure never getting past the edge of the nail. I suppose they have thousands of pictures like mine.

The closest I have come to inventing something is writing a book. There is no way I will get back the money (especially if you include time) for that effort. I think the woodworking folks, in general, have been horse’s butts when it comes to making equipment safer. How many “craftsmen” do you know with missing fingers? This list made me feel like a wuss I bought and promoted SS. The original complaint about added costs are not correct. The SS is a great saw and competitively priced. I doubt the inventor of the SS has come even close to recouping his investment. Now he is faced with formidable competition. I am sure he thought through his decision before lawyering up. I think, he thinks that, if he wins, he will get paid for breaking the ice. For sure the competition will bring about a better product and might cause others to invest in safety.

Slightly changing the subject, our next car will be equipped with as many safety features as possible. My dream is an economical car that will just about make it impossible for me to maim or kill myself or others.

Gary, I pray you never cut your hand. However, a bad cut would change this equation (but decided against the SS solely on cost vs what you get.) 360 degrees to: I decided on the SS solely for safety reasons despite more stuff on the Powermatic or whatever.

Blessings,

Richard Emmel

 <http://louisabook.wordpress.com/> http://louisabook.wordpress.com/

 <http://www.babysharonfund.arkansas.gov/> http://www.babysharonfund.arkansas.gov/

I do not doubt the validity of SS making a good saw and a good system...........but are they thinking that they are the only ones that are interested in buyers safety?  I do think that the saw is over priced as for what it is.  As I mentioned I was considering last year and could afford one, but decided against the SS solely on cost vs what you get.

Hope I did not lead us into a "what price is safety?" debate.