[Woodworkers] Sawstop vs Bosch

Ben Reese via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Mon Sep 7 18:16:03 PDT 2015

Before I bought a saw last year I wrote Sawstop and asked them a question
about  the moisture in treated wood setting off the blade retraction
system.  I wish that I had not erased the message but what it amounted to
was that  there was an over ride of some sort (me brain ain't what it used
to be) but cutting treated wood or wood with high moisture content without
setting the override was not recommended.  Anywho, I wonder if Bosch's
system is the same or just will not trigger using treated wood.

Also, am I correct that before Sawstop saws the system was developed and
was to go on a name brand saw like Jet or Delta but never happened because
it was thought that it was too cost prohibitive?

Getting to the article, I would really like to know just how Sawstop has
determined that their system has saved thousands, really thousands (?) of
accidents.  If so, they have sold thousands of replacement cartridges to a
whole lot of mighty careless folks.

I do not doubt the validity of SS making a good saw and a good
system...........but are they thinking that they are the only ones that are
interested in buyers safety?  I do think that the saw is over priced as for
what it is.  As I mentioned I was considering last year and could afford
one, but decided against the SS solely on cost vs what you get.

Hope I did not lead us into a "what price is safety?" debate.