[Woodworkers] Tool Warranties

Dave Heitstuman via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Sun Nov 29 10:57:53 PST 2015

Karen's comments on missing the window to register reminded me of a little know fact that most people do not know.  I know that in Washington years ago they passed legislation that you do not have to register any product for warranty.  I really do not remember all of the details other than the Washington State Attorney General was 100% behind it and as I recall it had something to do with the manufacturers using the warranty registration information to bombard you with junk mail (this was before email) and they sold the data which increased the junk mail.  I have never registered a tool or anything and have never had any warranty issues with any reputable firm (Ridgid is not one of those firms, but I have kicked that horse enough).

All of you may want to see if your states have similar laws on the books.  You also might Google warranty registration requirements in general.  I believe that if the Warranty is clearly stated as lifetime then it is, period.  There should be no requirement for registration.

2Dave
"professional putzer"
The shop:  http://picasaweb.google.com/justdavesshop

Please be respectful when forwarding email.
Think before you send.
Before forwarding, remove ALL prior e-addresses, including mine
For added security for all recipients use Bcc: instead of To: or Cc: