[Woodworkers] The lady ain't no tramp

Joe Johns via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Fri Jun 19 12:50:01 PDT 2015

Not too awful ago I was asked to make an earring holder.

I had made my first batch of them quite a few years ago but I wasn't happy
with the outcome of the design...don't get me wrong they were nice looking;
finished very nicely; functional...they were...well, it looked as if
someone hurried up b'cuz he didn't want to do the damn things to begin with
and made them just as plain as possible.

Well, with this one, I put more thought into and I actually had fun with
it.  What's most important is the tram....er, the lady really likes it.

The dims of the frame is 3/4" x 14" x 14".

The legs were the most fun.  I didn't want to waste too much qtr. sawn
white oak so I made a pattern of one side of the leg, cut out the four
pieces (using the CbsE of course) and then glued the pairs of them together.

It will accommodate both post and slip-in earrings b'cuz of the 1/8" square
holes in the hardware cloth, which I painted black to accentuate the white
oak.

The knobs were turned on the lathe and they're meant to be loosened to
adjust the angle of the frame.  The corner accents are Brazilian cherry and
everything else is qtr. sawn white oak.  Stained with Minwax Gel Stain.

If you get hornswaggled into making one of these and you have a tough time
finding 1/8" square hardware cloth then let me know...I got oodles of it.

BTW - I'm the first one in our new digs to up a post with pictures attached
so pppppbbbbbfffffftttttttttttt!

​

--
Joe,
The Twisted Knot Woodshop, "There's never been a classier joint"