[Woodworkers] In the eyes of Google...

Joe Johns via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Fri Dec 4 07:37:13 PST 2015

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 1:21 PM, 2Dave wrote:

Hey, I’ve been there!

​Yeah, you have!

> As I scan the picture for what is different since I was there I notice a
> few things.

​I don't recall giving out noticin' licenses to other folks.

> First, that is some mystic pole the van is parked next too.  Tell us about
> it
> ​.

​Well, the pipe came from my mall - I brought it to the shop and placed it
into long-term storage on the ground next to the blue shop where it would
await its special purpose.

Six years pass until one day I'm walking by and notice one pipe was a just
right fit inside the other - its special purpose had arrived, I was going
to make a flagpole​!
​

> I know that you are quite the neatnik

​I wouldn't perzackly say "neatnik"
​ although
 I do enjoy organization
​.  Ok, ok...you beat it outta me, I do like things clean but that's b'cuz
a clean work position is a happy work position and a happy work position is
a productive work position.​

> so how is it there is gravel all over the concrete approach?

​B'cuz that is outside and I learned a LOOOOOONNNNGGGG time ago not to mess
with Mother Nature - if she wants the gravel there then she can have it.​

> The van has an interesting dent, there has to be a story there.

​Yeah, prolly so but you'll have to get that story from my mother - see,
two years ago she got a newer model and gave me that one - it came equipped
with that dent but didn't ask.

> Meanwhile the siding and the roof over the porch appear to be completed it
> looks good.

​Thanks.  It was finished the same year Lauri died.  Earlier that January,
after much browbeating and haranguing from her, I promised I would finish
the facade by fall and with the help of Bob and Jeff it was done with a day
to spare.

> John’s right you need a sign, unless of course you are trying to stay low
> key and work by word of mouth.

​About changing my mind to have a sign...

Half-mile north of the TKW, along the Highway 93 Frontage Road, sits a
building that was turned into a cabinet shop - prior to it being a cabinet
shop it was a restaurant.  It failed and sat there, empty, for twelve years
or so.  In 2009 the new TKW officially opens the doors.  Late spring 2010
arrives and I'm driving by and see activity going on there.  Shortly
thereafter I find out some annoying little man decides to open a cabinet
shop.

In my travels past the place I see where the annoying little man is out
there putting a fancy facade on his shop...no doubt having seen mine he
decides he needs one, too.  Only his is curved at the top...

Well, laa-dee-daa!  Good for him.  But, you see that sign there?  He didn't
put that sign up until 3 years after he opened his cabinet shop with the
curved facade.

See those buildings to the left?  They're filled with _low income_
tenants...mostly indians.  To the right, out of picture view, is a trailer
park and next to that is another _low income_ housing project, which is
directly north of the TKW - again, the vast majority of them are indians.

Guess what happened almost the very minute he hung that shingle up there?
His shop was broken into and lots of things stolen.

That was the precise moment when I decided I didn't need to advertise with
a sign basically saying, FREE TOOLS!.

--
Joe,
The Twisted Knot Woodshop, "There's never been a classier joint"