[Woodworkers] Baking Soda blasting

Dave Heitstuman via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Mon Aug 3 10:06:27 PDT 2015

Yeah I know you don’t want to use stripper but there are 2 “green” products out there that might be worth looking into.  The first one is a citrus based, I haven’t specifically used it but I used a citrus based paint cleaner that cleaned the paint up and never harmed anything I used it on.

The other product is Soy based I have used it.  I don’t think it would cause the veneer to lift and I think I would be gutsy enough to try it on the door????
I have used this stuff and was pretty happy with the results.  A quick Google search turned up this site that had lots of information.  http://www.logfinish.com/store/soygel.php#.Vb-extrn-Uk

I always wanted to get a small bead blaster to strip models.  I have been told that by using the right medium and air pressure you can actually strip the letter off a model RR car and not touch the paint.  So I would think that with a little bit of practice you could probably be able to do it with no problems.  Just be aware that the particle dust goes everywhere unless you have a way to contain it.  Maybe a big fan pulling across the area and blowing it all out the door towards the neighbors?

2Dave
"professional putzer"
The shop:  http://picasaweb.google.com/justdavesshop