[Woodworkers] Chinese rule for eye pleasing design?????

Travis Knutti blendwooddesigns at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 12:25:44 PST 2022

I'm not to keen on Asian rule for pleasing aspect ratios.  But there are
the golden ratio formulas.  If you google "golden ratio calculator" you'll
find calculators for many different geometric shapes.

But to be honest as long as I've been woodworking (15 years now), I've
maybe found the golden ratio to have been exactly what I was looking for
maybe once or twice.

I'm not saying it's not a good place to start though.  Try it out first and
see how you like it.  Then you can easily change your length width or
height by whatever you want to dial in your design.

I also find it helps to come up with a constraint depending on where the
item is going to be, and how it'll scale with the items its going to be
near along with astetics.

Even if you don't have a ton of experience with design it's good to trust
your instincts here.  Also sometimes less can be more, and very subtle
curves and edge finishings and reveals can really take a bland design to
the next level.

Well good luck with your project and hopefully something I said will help.