[Woodworkers] HDPE Save Christmas!

chuck.steger at gmail.com chuck.steger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 11:42:56 PST 2022

   Ok, maybe a little dramatic but here’s the story …

   After our recent discussion on HDPE, I scoured the house and had more than I thought. I put them in a garbage back for later use (honestly, if ever, who knows). So now the story moves to me making Christmas presents.

   My central vac system has been making noises like the bearings are going. I know I need to look at it but as Trevor Noah says, “ain’t nobody got time for that”. It finally got to a point where I knew I could do some permanent damage so I had to stop using it. I used my jointer and planer and you can image they made huge messes. I had to hold the hose of a portable dust vac while feeding boards to keep the planer table free of chips. Then, I spent 10-15 minutes vacuuming the machine and floor. I didn’t want to use my portable vac because the jointer and planer have 4” ports and my portable vac has a 2” hose. I didn’t want to duct tape it because I need them (I have 2) around the shop with my central vac out. Also, duct taping them makes them not portable. After 2 times, I knew I had to do something else. So I looked in my HDPE bag and found a whey protein jar with the neck at 4” OD. I cut a couple of slits in the neck to compress it and it fit the 4” port perfectly. I cut a 2” hole in the bottom of the jar for the portable vac hose. I used it on my jointer and it worked great but the real test was on the planer. To my great surprise, the portable vac keeps up with the planer beautifully! Granted, I’ll have to change the bag more frequently but what a game changer given the situation! And, my new “dust port” is extremely portable!

   So, see, HDPE saved my Christmas! Now, can it also give me more time 😊

   Happy holidays!

Chuck