[Woodworkers] What'cha Call It?

John McCaskill jmccaskill at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 14:39:56 PDT 2022

Been a while since I’ve used these, but here’s a little summary:

HDPE stands for high density polyethylene. It is a durable plastic material that is resistant to abrasion and chemicals. Because of its high density makeup, it doesn’t absorb much water or liquid, meaning that it can work well as a vessel or container. It’s also fairly versatile and affordable for a variety of other applications. When it comes to fabrication, the material can be shaped and welded using thermoplastic equipment, making it perfect for applications where a very specific shape is needed.

UHMW stands for ultra high molecular weight polyethylene. This plastic material is known for being extremely strong and abrasion-resistant. It’s especially well suited for holding up against wear from constant friction between moving parts. It’s also fairly low cost and can be used for a variety of applications. Though it can be fabricated and machined, it’s not as well suited to forming specific shapes and welding as HDPE. However, it is generally able to hold up better against friction and wear over time.

YMMV

JOHN

Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.