[Woodworkers] Turning Copper

chuck.steger at gmail.com chuck.steger at gmail.com
Fri May 14 11:47:05 PDT 2021

All,

   Timing is everything - the latest issue of Woodworker's Journal (June
2021) has an article on carbide-inserts. They mention turning copper (brass,
plastic resin) works better with a negative rake. They use Easy Wood Tools
as an example so I went to their web site and they do sell negative rake
cutters. So I called EWT and spoke with a technician. He said I didn't need
the negative rake and the standard tips would work. I appreciate feedback
like that because he could have very easily said I did and I would have
bought the 3 tips at around $17/ea. He said my standard cutters would work
fine. He even pointed me to a video that he just posted on the EWT Facebook
page. A customer was turning a wedding ring for his son out of copper and
deer antler. Anyway, it was good to watch because it showed me what to
expect when I start to turn my second sphere. The first sphere is done
thanks to this WW community but I am going to turn a second and probably a
third.

   Thought I would pass this on.

Chuck