[Woodworkers] Copper metal working

Richard Allen rla_buy at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 21:18:59 PST 2021

I have turned copper on a wood lathe before.  I would take a 7/8” rod about 2” long an turn a sphere at one end.  The end being held by the lathe could be turned down to a suitable diameter so the sphere would be attached to the rod as a single piece of copper.  Another option would be to drill and tap the 1” sphere and thread some of your 3/8” rod to screw into the taped sphere.  Copper drills fine.  Plan on discarding the drill bit as sometimes the copper will “weld” to the drill bit.  I would do the drilling with the 1” sphere in a chuck on the lathe.  I would turn down the 1” sphere by mounting the 3/8” rod in a chuck on the lathe.  Copper turns with a scraper.  It is a fairly slow process but 10 minutes of scraper work and 15 minutes of sanding and polishing should give you a sphere shape to your likening