[Woodworkers] Red Oak Bowl

John McCaskill jmccaskill at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 16:39:50 PDT 2021

Oh yeah, the UFO bowl 😂 Two years ago I was turning a large (probably 14-15” dia) mesquite bowl as a wedding present for my bride to be. It came apart explosively, a piece hit me, several flew across the shop, and I’ve never even found some of them. Luckily I was wearing good PPI, including a very stout helmet. I had some bruises, but no cuts or bleeding. Once I got my senses back, my thoughts were the same: Well, shit, that didn’t work out.

My story goes on, though.
I also had a nice 16” pecan blank dry and ready to turn. I thought that would do well as a replacement. So, I turned it more carefully. No inclusions in this blank.  Of course, just as I took my last cut on the ID (the OD was done), I saw a little pinprick of light in the side wall about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom. Right. Too thin. I’ve been trying for 2 years to figure out if there’s any way to salvage it. It’s sitting in my shop, haunting me, as we speak.

The rest of the story: some of my very good Woodturner “friends” made a bowl for her as a wedding present 😄She loves it, but is still merrily asking when I’ll finish “my” bowl. As the story goes, Real Soon Now 😂

But, if you really need one, I’ll happily finish one of the dozens of semi-finished bowls that I have in my shop for you! Just not quite as big or exotic.

John McCaskill

Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.