[Woodworkers] Miter Saw Capacity at 45

Chuck Steger chuck.steger at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 19:41:02 PDT 2019

For those of you who own miter saws (I have a RAS), what is their 45 degree
cutting capacity? My lamp project has my stock at 3" and my TS will barely
cross cut it so I know it won't bevel it. The specs on miter saws that I see
say 45 degree capacity is a 2 x 12. Does that mean only 2" thick? Could
yours cut a 3" bevel?

My options for my lamp project are (1) use the TS to get most of it, and
then hand saw the rest, (2) use the band saw, (3) hand saw it, or (4) use a
miter saw. I don't like the accuracy of 1-3 so was wondering about a miter
saw. I don't own one but maybe this is my excuse J

Chuck