[Woodworkers] Stain and wood type

Chuck Steger chuck.steger at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 21:49:53 PST 2019

Larry,

   I think a gel stain is the way to go. I just did a piece where I wanted to put boiled linseed oil on the lacewood part and a gel stain on the cherry part. I taped everything off with painters tape but the BLO still leeched on to the cherry (in this case, it wasn’t horrible and I could blend them). A gel stain sits on top of the wood whereas a penetrating stain goes into the pores. You could also use a toner that I think could work (but I would sure experiment first).

   Curious what others think.

Chuck