[Woodworkers] Identify species...

jaspertops at bluemarble.net jaspertops at bluemarble.net
Thu Dec 12 09:00:39 PST 2019

I would guess it is not ash.  The ash that has gone through my shop has
always been a lighter color than that and never saw that darker brown in
it.  i have seen that in hickory and also seen it in maple.  I have never
been able to identify wood my its bark.  The grain color and pattern in
hickory can really get crazy wild.  I've been staring at hickory cabinets
and hardwood flooring for almost 20 years now in our house.  the openness
of the grain does not remind me of maple.  If you would like to ship it to
me, I will compare it to my current stash of hickory and let you know what
I think.  I could even do some side by side pictures.  You wouldn't need
the wood back, would you?

Vince Granacher

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 09:59:36 -0600, Brian Johnson via Woodworkers
<woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org> wrote:
> Hey Folks -
>
> This a reply to all the other replies, not just Gary's.
>
> I'm pretty sure it's not hickory, the bark is wrong - though I suppose
> it could be a species of hickory I'm not familiar with.
>
> I had not considered ash as he said the tree was cut from his property
> which had oak and hard maple. My limited experience with ash has always
> been that it's a super light colored wood - this is a bit darker than
> what I thought ash was, but every tree is different.
>
> You folks were supposed to answer my question, not add more options!
lol.