[Woodworkers] tambour door

Scott Rohan=Smith wdworkr at smittysplace.net
Mon Dec 31 16:43:20 PST 2018

Don't you just love saying that! It doesn't really roll off of the tongue
but it's still fun.

I made a tambour door a couple 3 years ago and I'm finally getting around to
finishing the cabinet that it will go into (Damn shingles! Get your shots!)
I read a couple of magazine articles about how to make it and Norm has a
really good video of how to do it. I thought I did a really good job and
followed all of the advice in the video and articles.  The tambour door is
fairly large (44" x 44") and made of quarter sawn white oak so it is also
fairly heavy.  I used contact cement on the canvas and slats as per
instructions and it seemed like a really good bond. Last night I was
wrestling it around trying to test fit it into the cabinet and some of the
slats were coming loose and one finally fell off. That really bummed me out
and now I'm trying to decide how to proceed.

Whatta ya think? Should I re-apply contact cement? Would I need to clean off
the old cement? That may compromise the slats around it that are still
intact.

Should I use some other adhesive? Loctite makes what is probably just a
silicone adhesive (the label just calls it "Power Grab") but it has been
working pretty good for me on other things.

Or, any other suggestions you guys might have?

Smitty aka Scott Rohan-Smith

Missoula, MT

Doh, a beer I want a beer

Ray, the guy who buys me beer

Me, the guy whom Ray buys beer

Fa, a long way to go for beer

So, I think I'll have a beer

La, La la la la la la

Ti, no thanks I'll have a beer

And that will bring us back to Doh! Doh! Doh!

This one is for you Joe.