[Woodworkers] Cabinet repair

via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Wed Jun 21 11:21:42 PDT 2017

Tom
If you can find some veneer that matches pretty close, I would go that route. It looks like the grain is running vertically, so I would think that you can slice out a all the bad area in three slices and glue in some new veneer. It looks more like Mahogany veneer than Walnut to me, but it could just be the picture. If you do try to re-veneer it, then either use some contact cement and roll the veneer to make sure it is secure, or make sure that you clamp a board coated with clear plastic tape or put wax paper in between your board and the new veneer to prevent it from sticking. A lot of times, if you are using PVA glue, it will seep through the veneer and if you just clamp a board to it, the board will be glued in place. It's not like you can stick it in a veneer press and let the vacuum do its thing.

Good Luck

Gary Williams