[Woodworkers] Bowl Turning

John McCaskill via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Thu Jul 6 15:32:26 PDT 2017

After you turn the inside & outside, then you have to turn it around and
turn the base. One way is to mount it on a vacuum chuck, cole jaws, or jam
chuck, and then turn the bottom. Use the tailstock up to the final smidge
of the bottom.

Another way is to just press the bowl (bottom towards the tailstock)
between a chuck (if you use one) or a flat plate and the tailstock. Use
something like closed cell foam rubber on the inside of the bowl to avoid
marring the inside finish.

In any case, turn until there's just a little tiny bit of wood left to
support the tailstock, then chisel that off and sand it.

Don't try to turn the bottom flat, it will never sit flat. Instead, turn it
slightly concave so the bowl rests on the rim of the bottom.

John

They told me I was gullible and I believed them.